Monday, August 2, 2010

What's In A Name?

What I call my blog does not give a ton of insight to what I mostly want to discuss, rather it refers more to how I got to this point in my life.

"The B is for brave" came about during my freshmen (freshman? i never get it right) year of college. See, no one can simply call me by my first name, I guess because it's so short instead of a nickname my friends feel the need to lengthen my name either by running my firstandlastnames together or simply throwing my last initial up with my first name.
Anywho, one evening after doing something "daring" (I don't even remember what at this point) a friend of mine yelled out across campus "Cara B. The B is for brave!!" Over the next few years the B word became interchangeable (bling, bitch, bananas, etc). However, 'brave' always stuck with me because I learned something about myself, that I AM BRAVE and not just for whatever dumb ass thing I was doing that impressed my friend, but for being able to handle everything that life has thrown at me thus far. I'm sure you will learn more about these things as time rolls though, don't want to overload your plate!

Now then, what I really am going to try and focus this here blog on is Dun Dun DUUUUN: school! Last fall I enrolled in a Masters program at Catholic University in DC. I also work full time at a rather large government agency in Maryland. I only take two classes per semester as I am a part-time student and have been doing quite well up until this summer where, against my better judgment, I decided it would be a good idea to take two more classes. WhatAMistakeThatWas! My friend Kelly, whom I met through the program, talked me into it so we could "suffer together." Suffer?--Check Together?--Check Worst-experience-of-my-life-resulting-in-multiple-near-heart-attacks?--CHECK CHECK CHECKCHECKCHECKCHECKCHECK! The (not-so) funny part is that I have to do this all over again NEXT summer-- ALONE! ::cries::
Through my many crises I hope to help anyone out there who may be in a similar boat; essentially having a life and deciding to just throw school all up in the mix. I am also all about learning, myself. So if you hold the secret to not waiting til the very last minute to write a 6-8 page paper, I am all ears. If you have no secrets, but some common sense skills I am lacking, feel free to share as well.

Excited to get this started, however, summer session just ended and fall doesn't start until the end of August, but I can fill in on some of the summer's highlights.

No comments: